Wednesday, February 6, 2013

How to create a nickname generator

 Here are the five basic steps to creating your own nickname generator.

1. Choose the subject.
2. Research names related to the subject.
3. Sort names into groups.
4. Get feedback.
5. Publish your nickname generator.

Example: Boxing Nickname Generator.

1. I was writing a book on boxing. One day I didn't want to write, but I wanted to be working on the book, so I decided I needed a nickname generator for people so they could get into the spirit of the book.

2. I googled boxer's names and nicknames. I looked up names in all my research books. I came up with a huge list. This makes it more authentic. The names generated sound like boxing names because they all came from real boxer's nicknames.

3. I sorted them into describer (adjective) and item (noun) lists. Blue Thunder. Ice Spike. I made a list for the describers and the items, A to Z (for people's initials) and assigned the words. I moved them around so some of the better words were with letters that I thought would be used more... and the "not as strong" words were with the letters that would probably be used less. I admit that I made sure my own nickname would be awesome.

4. I showed the list to friends to see how they reacted. Based on that, I moved a few words around. I also replaced some words with better ones my friends came up with.

5. I started a blog, gave it a good name, and published it. You could also just put it out on FaceBook or email it around. I like the Blog because it keeps track of how many people have checked it out.

Have fun!


Paula Schumacher is the author of Beginner's Guide to Office Boxing: The How-To's of Work Place Self-Defense (2012). The Beginner's Guide to Office Boxing is a genuinely helpful guide to office politics.

Paula Schumacher is a graduate of the University of Kansas with journalism and MBA degrees. She is an experienced business consultant in the government and private business sectors. For over 10 years she has worked with psychologists, workers, and managers in the analysis of personality disordered people in the work force and their impacts on co-workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment